02 January 2013



This fun project was another case of "Hey, can you make this weird random thing, I need it tomorrow" YES! yes, I can. Meet Mike, DJ and creator of the infamous Soul Deep dance parties that frequent the Detroit area. He plays soul records ONLY, hence the name, and needed a way to respond to requests like Hotel California...I mean come on people...

He decided he wanted a little scroll sign where he could flip something or untie it and it would roll-out to reveal, "No Requests" in a fancy script lettering. I loved the idea, to me it was 70% silent movie throwback and 30% Warner brothers cartoon...so I was all in. I had to get it done asap, so Mike delivered the material and I decided to paint it given the time frame. I found out that I really love painting on slightly patterned fabric, so perhaps this will inspire other projects.

All in all, it was a fun project and Mike got the ultimate satisfaction when he got to use it while DJing at a 12.21.12 Soul Deep party. The world didn't end that day, but I'm glad he was able to use it just in case it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment